Panchmel Dal or Panchratna dal is a delectable lentil recipe that is bursting with nutrition and flavour. Dal or lentils are an essential part of an Indian vegetarian diet. It is a fantastic source of protein and is made all over the country.
Ingredients for Panchratna Dal Recipe :
Lentils : 1/4 cup split pigeon peas (Tuar/Arhar Dal), 1/4 cup whole green gram (Moong), 1/4 cup split bengal gram (Chana Dal), 1/4 cup split black gram with skin (Split Urad Dal), 1/4 cup whole red lentils (Saboot Masoor Dal).
1 tsp. turmeric powder, 1 tsp. red chilli powder, 1 tbsp. coriander powder, 1 tsp. cumin powder,
1 tsp. garam masala powder, Salt to taste, 1 tbsp. ginger paste, 1 tbsp. garlic paste, 2-3 split green chillies,
2 large tomatoes
For Tadka (Tempering) : 1 tbsp. Ghee (clarified butter)/ Use olive oil for vegan recipe, 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 1 pinch asafoetida, 2-3 dry red chillies, 1 inch piece ginger juliennes, 5-6 cloves garlic minced, Coriander leaves for garnish.
Steps to Make Panchratna Dal :
- Wash and soak the lentils for 2 hours. Pressure cook them in enough water with ginger garlic paste, split green chillies, tomatoes and turmeric till they are mushy. Keep aside.
- Heat the lentil mix in a large pan/kadhai. If very thick add some water. Now add in the coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder along with salt. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Prepare the tempering in another pan. Heat ghee or olive oil. Add in cumin, asafoetida and red chillies. Let the cumin sputter. Now add the julienned ginger and minced garlic. Heat for a couple of minutes. Don’t let them burn.
- Now tip them in hot Panchmel Dal that is simmering away. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with boiled rice or rotis.