Chutney powders are rich in protein, fiber and spices.There are many varieties of chutney powder. This is always my kids favorite one. If this chutney powder is at home, I don’t have to prepare any side dished for dosa, rotti or even for idli. With a dash of home made ghee, you should try the chutney powder with hot rice.
- 1 cup channa dal
- ½ cup urad dal
- ½ cup dried shredded coconut optional
- 25 dried byadgi red chilies. If you are using other variety use around 15 chillies wrinkled skin variety
- big lemon size tamarind
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- pinch of asafetida/Hing
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
Method – How to make Chutney Powder
- Heat the pan on a medium high heat. We will dry roast channa dal and Urad dal separately.
- Once the pan is hot add channa dal, stir this dal until it turn golden brown.
- It will take approximately 5 min.
- Transfer this golden brown channa dal to a bowl, and now dry roast the urad dal. It takes about 2 minutes to turn golden brown.
- Add 2 tsp oil to the pan, add mustard seeds and hing.
- Once the mustard seeds are popped, add red chillies and curry leaves and fry it for few seconds. Then turn off the heat.
- To this, add dried coconut, tamarind, salt, jaggery, and dry roasted ingredients. Mix well.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Once this is cool enough, put it into the mixer and grind it to an almost fine powder.
- Now the healthy Authentic chutney powder is ready to eat. Eat with dosai, idli, roti or even with hot steamed rice with a little ghee or oil. Enjoy!