Sprouted green moong lentil is cooked in a blend of coconut, tamarind and roasted red chillies with a seasoning of mustard seeds and curry leaves or crushed garlic. It is best served along with phulka and carrot & beans to make a complete for your lunch or can be carried for your lunch box as well.
Ingredients for Sprouted Whole Green Gram Gravy Recipe : 1/2 cup Green Moong Dal Whole (1/2 cup Fresh), coconut (grated), 2 Dry Red Chilli (lightly roasted), 1/4 teaspoon Tamarind Paste, or 1 small gooseberry sized tamarind (remove seeds), 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil, 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds, 1 sprig Curry leaves, Salt , to taste.
Steps to Make Sprouted Whole Green Gram Gravy :
- To begin making the Mooga dal curry recipe, firstly soak the green gram overnight and drain all the water.
- Cover with a wet towel and keep in a warm place to germinate. In about another day, they would have sprouted. Soak again in water for a couple of hours. Drain, wash and try to remove as much skin as possible.
- In a pressure cooker, place the sprouted beans with some water and cook for about one whistle till soft and still holds its shape.
- Meanwhile grind coconut, roasted red chillies and tamarind with a little water to a fine paste in a mixer grinder.
- Transfer this coconut paste to the cooked green gram, add salt to taste and mix gently. Bring to a boil.
- The next step is to season the gravy. Heat the oil in a tadka pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once it starts spluttering, add the curry leaves and pour this seasoning into the moong-coconut gravy and mix.
- Serve Mooga Ghushi with hot steamed rice or phulkas.